Monday, March 21, 2011

The History of the BB

The Brass Bonanza was made famous by the Hartford Whalers. Whenever I hear the song, I feel a smile begin to creep onto my face. It reminds me of so many happy memories during my childhood. Typically, when I would hear the song as a kid, it meant only one thing: THE WHALERS SCORED!!!!!!

So, as I am back from spring break, I decided a fitting first entry back would discuss the history of one of my favorite songs. The song was first recognized after a game played on April 11th, 1975. The Whalers were part of the WHA at the time and were playing against the Minnesota Saints. The record for the most penalties in a WHA was reached in this game at the Hartford Civic Center. The total was 41! Unbelievable. According to this blog post, http://www.brassbonanza.com/hcc/whalers-audio/whalers-vs-saints, there was a total of 217 minutes of penalties! Since this point, this song always recognized a goal scored for our beloved Hartford team.

The song was last officially played at the final Hartford Whalers game on April 13th, 1997. The last goal of the game was scored by Kevin Dineen.

I actually interestingly found out that the Brass Bonanza was played once again in 2006 before a second round playoff opener of the Carolina Hurricanes against the New Jersey Devils. For some reason, it bothers me to hear that...

...Another sad post by a fan still obsessed with the Hartford Whalers!

2 comments:

  1. Here's a really cool article that I found when looking to download the Brass Bonanza a few months ago. I think I like the article because it mentions my hometown -> Wethersfield haha

    http://articles.courant.com/2010-11-27/sports/hc-jacobs-column-1127-20101127_1_theme-song-brass-bonanza-facebook
    - RA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- what a great article!!!! Thank you! I love it!

    ReplyDelete